Sunday, November 11, 2007

Simply, Mamita

I was waiting for a flight when I got the news that Dr. Mita Pardo de Tavera had passed away last week. I thought of writing an obituary, but postponed it, not wanting to write while I was still overwhelmed by grief. Mamita was a second mother to me; my parents referred to her in Chinese as my “hua lang bu” [Spanish mother] and said that with great pride. I still mourn her passing, but write now, hoping to capture the way she lived, vibrantly and so full of celebration.

I had graduated from college just a year earlier and was working with the Catholic Church’s community-based health programs, when a Maryknoll sister suggested that I apply for work with a new non-government organization. It was called AKAP, an abbreviation of the kilometric name Alay Kapwa Kilusang Pangkalusugan [Caring for Others Health Movement], specializing in tuberculosis control and headed by Dr. Mita Pardo de Tavera.

Dr. Tavera? The name of an old wealthy Spanish family alone was intimidating, yet I can’t remember the job interview to have been grueling in any sense. What I recall is how she introduced herself, and she insisted that she be called, simply, Mamita.

Article by Michael L. Tan. Pinoy Kasi column, Philippine Daily Inquirer, November 2, 2007

Read more...

0 comments: